Friday, June 30, 2006

A Zucchini is Not a Hamburger

Lately, I've had the craving to be really bad. Though I'm not big on meat, I occassionally crave a good old hamburger, complete with fries of course. Normally, these cravings come when I have a cold, but that isn't the issue now. It's just a mind thing.

To a certain extent, it feels good to be eating all these vegies and fruits. But, for whatever reason, I can only be good for so long. Thing is, though, I know I haven't been super good this week. Granted, I haven't caved into my craving (yet), but I've eaten more than I needed to.

Heather, over on a new blog called Lively Women, talks a little about this. How we eat not necessarily because we are full already, but because, heck, we just want to. It's seen as a good thing to clean our plates. It shows the cook how much we liked the meal.

Another thing she does that I'm really, really bad about it waiting to eat until we are starving. I know, for me, if I eat a little bit all day long, then I'm never really hungry and I tend to actually eat less though it seems like I'm eating all the time. But, when you add it up at the end of the day, it turns out that if I wait and eat when I'm really hungry, I tend to eat larger, longer meals and much more by the end of the day.

As a very weak attempt to make my craving go away, I ate one of my last (got 2 more left) Weight Watcher dinners, a zucchini lasagna. No, it's not a hamburger, but I knew it would taste really, really good. And, not surprisingly, I still have this craving and I ended up adding a few zillion mg of sodium to my diet yesterday. So, it was a really stupid thing to do.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my craving. Right now, I'm trying to psyche myself up into going on a morning walk because we keep getting thunder storms during the evenings and late afternoons now, and I just haven't gotten to walk like I usually do. I could wait until my Monday weigh in and cave in then, or maybe if I wait long enough the craving will go away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say, from my own experience in cutting out things, is that the first couple of months are really hell. Hang tough, and even if you slip a bit here & there, keep focused on the long-term goal. It gets better, even though you get whammied on occasion with a powerful craving. That dratted brain and its tricks! :)

fatand40 said...

Yup. Weird too because hamburger and fries are just not something I normally eat.