Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Call of the Scale

The last time I seriously tried Weight Watchers, after losing about 10 lbs, I hit a plateau. It was the first time it ever happened to me, and I was really getting ticked off that I was paying $10 week after week for the same stupid 1lb to come and go. After about a month of this, I realized for $40 I could buy a pretty decent digital scale, so that's what I did.

Since then, when I've attempted to diet, I've found myself drawn to weigh myself too often. WW and most plans suggest you weigh in once a week, and I agree that makes sense. Right now, that for me is Mondays. It's kind of a sucky day of the week, so why not?

I know that weighing every day when you are trying to lose weight makes no sense because our bodies fluctuate a lot, a pound here or there. Yet, I still struggle with not weighing myself.

Now, once I get this weight off, it would make sense to weigh myself every day. That's what my mom does, and she has managed to keep her weight under control for many years. She's a master of control. She eats according to what the scale says that day. If she's on the high end of where she's comfortable, she cuts back. If she's on the low end, then it's okay to eat the piece of pie at lunch that day.

Well, I'm gearing myself up for a grocery run. Since I'm reading labels like crazy now, checking carbs for my hubby and calories for me, it's probably going to take me 3 hours to shop. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle the sushi counter. I love, love, love my sushi. When the sushi guy sees me coming, he says, "Fresh crab, just for you today!" Ahh...It's my once a week treat, though I could eat it 2xs a day if I let myself. I looked it up and a California roll (according to FitWatch) has something like 360 calories, so I'm fighting with myself right now. How can I have my sushi but still stay within the 1200 calorie range for the rest of day? Eat salad the rest of the day? Ooyyeee!

No comments: