Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ick List Foods

One of the things that turns me off to any specific diet plan is that they always seem to force you to eat certain foods. And, fat and 40 as I am, I'm still a picky eater.

Hey, if my own mother couldn't get me to drink my milk as a kid, no way is some Weight Watchers gal going to do it today.

It got me thinking about the numerous foods that I don't like and wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pool. These are my two main "ick list" categories.

White foods:

  • egg whites (I'll eat them if they are mixed with the yok, but I better not see the white part!)
  • mayo (zero, zip, nada, never!)
  • cauliflower
  • tofu
  • yogart
  • sour cream
  • milk

Meats:

  • Pork chops, ham, Candaian bacon (regular, well-cooked lean bacon is okay)
  • Steak or any non-ground beef (ick, pouie, ugh)
  • Any meat that you can see any kind of fat in general. One string of fat and I'm outa there!
  • Gator (come on, who likes gator, really?)
  • Shark (the steak of the ocean)

These foods have been on my "ick list" for most of my life, except for egg whites. It used to be the other way around. I liked the whites but not the yoks. So, I guess I'm making up for all those yoks I never ate.

I'm not really sure if there is a moral to this story other than the fact that the average diet takes the square peg / round hole approach and I see that as a major flaw. Sure, I may be a little picker than the average person, but we all have our food likes and dislikes and when you have to focus on eating right, counting calories, watching your sodium, etc. who wants to waste precious tummy space on foods you really don't like?

No comments: