Friday, June 23, 2006

The Well-Meaning Brownie

When I got into work this morning, I was greeted by a little bag of brownies and thank you note from a co-worker whom I'd helped out the day before.

Curse her!

Of course, she was being super nice. In fact, J. is the sweetest woman you'd ever want to meet, but dang it, how am I supposed to not eat chocoloate brownies, especially first thing in the morining when I'm trudging into work?

I started by setting the brownies aside in an effort to ignore them. Maybe I'd give them to someone. I couldn't just throw them out.

Finally, I thought, okay, I'll take a bite of one and drop the rest off in the break room for someone else to eat.

Crinkle, crinkle. Did anyone hear that? Did anyone hear my hand in the cellophane bag just then?

One bite was my intention. I was actually hoping that J. was one of those people who think they can bake but who really can't. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. J. rocks at baking. This was the best brownie I've ever eaten in my life, and before I knew, I swear I think I blackedout for a few minutes, two brownies were gone and one was left in the bag.

I was disgusted with myself and the third brownie sat on my desk for a good while, taunting me. But, I'd had enough. My day was shot. I expect big trouble on Monday when I weigh in. This isn't the first time I cheated this week. Not yummy chocolate brownies, but there was that handful of nuts, that extra glass of wine. It adds up.

Brownie number three was headed to the break room when I found a skinny I-can-eat-whatever-I-want co-worker and gave it over to her. Where was this woman a few hours ago when I weakened? Probably in the breakroom sucking down a donut or two.

My only hope now is that the 2 lbs. I lost last week don't find their way back home.

No comments: