Sunday, June 04, 2006

Stop That - Rewind

As I went off to work today, I realized that one of the issues I've had in the past with keeping track of what I eat has been remembering to write it down and having a system that works. Little notebooks get lost. I added a table on my PC at home, but then what do I do when I get to work? I have a palm pilot that I sort of know how to work, but again, I forget it at home a lot (needs to recharged daily) and then I still need to calcuate everything in the end.

Then today while surfing around at work and doing my best to ignore patrons I discovered some wonderful resources, and one seems to be exactly what I was looking for: Fit Day. It's free, so no monthly fees. It has a way to track my weight, what I eat, calories, fat, even has a journal that you can make public or private so I could have gone that route rather than blogging, but that's okay. It also has a place to log exercise. This way, if I'm home or at work, as long as I can get to a PC, which I usually can, I can keep track of what I eat throughout the day.

Also while surfing, I read in a number of places that suggest I try to go for 1200 calories a day if I want to lose. So, I think I'm going to try to keep it simple through the month of June. I'll try out Fit Day, keep logging my food and exercise (I usually walk about 1/2 hour a day), and see how it goes.

Another web resource that seems to have similar tools is Fit Watch. It has a free and deluxe version, the latter costing about $5 a month. When I get some time, I may join up there too, but right now, Fit Day seems like it was easier for me to jump into.

I have counted calories today, and so far I'm up to almost 800 and really haven't eaten that much differently than usual, though that's kind of scary. Of course, the night is young, but I have 400 to go. Fingers crossed I don't blow it.

No comments: