Sunday, September 03, 2006

Walking DVD Rocks

Maybe "rocks" is kind of stretching it, but so far I like the Walk Away the Pounds DVD I just got. I've done the 2 mile routine twice now, and it's definitely a good workout. I got my heart rate up and a pretty good sweat going. The 2 mile is 30 minutes long, and according to the U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, exercising about 30 mintues a day is pretty much the minimum you need to do to stay healthy:

"To maintain health, all adults should be moderately active for at least 30 minutes per day on most days of the week," Karen A. Donato, program coordinator of the NHLBI's Obesity Education Initiative, said in a prepared statement.

"To help manage body weight and prevent unhealthy weight gain, at least 60 minutes per day is recommended. Children and adolescents also need to be active for at least 60 minutes per day," Donato said.


So, yes, obviously, I need to work up to doing the 3 mile routine on this DVD, which is 47 minutes long. I may try to go for it tomorrow. Today, I'm working about a half day, and if I can manage to get the 2 mile done when I get home, then I'll be okay with that.

I still miss walking outside, so I'll have to see how it goes with the weather and all. But, with the constant rain we have been getting and the fact that it is getting darker sooner now, this is a nice alternative.

No comments: