Thursday, September 21, 2006

It Was Okay

I met C. at the jazzercise class lastnight. I have to say, though, I wasn't bowled over by it. Now, it was an okay class, and I may go back, but there are a few things I need to think about first. For example, the instructor, I was not overly impressed with her body. As C. put it, "You look like you are in better shape than she is."

Hmmmm....was that a compliment? Granted, this woman was built like a box, very broad shouldered and all, but she kind of had a small gut on her too. Call me a snob, but the way the instructor looks can say a lot about the sort of workout you are getting.

The workout? Yup, I sweated like a pig. I was actually concerned I might be soar today, but I'm not. I wouldn't say it was less or more intense than my 3 mile walking DVD, but at least it was something different.

Another negative was the choice of music, which I know to a certain extent was up to jazzercise, but it was either country music (sorry, but ugh) or weirded-out-old-lady-style-crap. At one point, the instructor kept trying to get us to sing along. Hello, I've never heard the song before in my life! Backtracking here, I do like older country music, like Johnny Cash, but I don't listen at all to any of the new stuff. So, you could have put a gun to my head and I still wouldn't have been able to sing along.

Finally, the kicker was the cost. I used to jazzercise maybe 8 years ago, and one thing I liked about it, other than that it's sort of mix of aerobics and dance, was the price. You didn't have to join anything either. You bought a ticket that had x-number of classes on it, got it stamped, and when it was finished, you bought a new ticket. Walk-ins were $5 and tickets went for $3.50 per class.

Well, welcome to the 21st century! Walk-ins are now $10 and tickets average about $8 a class. That was a shocker!

When I was asking about the cost and after they picked me up off the floor, they also mentioned that some women came just once a week and the instructor worked something out with them, just charging them $25 a month. Still, that's high, but I could see going one time a week if for no other reason than to vary my exercise. So, I may ask about that first. My only other option is to pay $35 a month and go 2 times a week, and honestly, it sort of messed up my routine for the day a little. Once a week, I could deal with, but 2 times, will need some thought.

No comments: