Monday, January 08, 2007

Jazzercise from the 80s?

One of the perks of joining Spark People are its daily newsletters you can sign up for (or not sign up for, your choice). Since I'm not just trying to lose weight but generally trying to get fit as well, I signed up for the exercise newsletter and the general daily one.

Today's exercise newsletter was touting the benefits of Jazzercise, which I've taken on and off for years depending on where I've lived and where classes have been offered. For the past, say 8 or 9 years, I've lived in an area where the closest classes have been a good thirty minute or more drive, and the classes offered have been extremely limited, so when I heard that classes were now offered in my town and only about 15 or 20 minutes away, I was very excited. I even blogged about it here.

Other than the fact that the class was only s0-so, the real kick in the pants was the price, $10 for walk-ins (though the first class is free) and after that it's $8 a class. Back when I took it previously, it was $5 for walk-ins and about $3.50 a class. Yes, a huge difference.

So, when I read this in my Spark People newsletter today, I had to wonder if they were quoting Jazzercise fees from the 1980s or something: "Because individual instructors independently own Jazzercise classes, there is no set rate. You will find that classes cost anywhere from $2 to $7, depending on the number of classes you purchase."

If I cared enough, I'd write to Spark and tell them they are wrong, wrong, wrong, but instead I'm blasting them here.

No comments: