Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dangers of Gum


I've never been much of a gum chewer. Usually, I chew it for a few minutes, get all the good flavor out, and then toss it. But, my DH put a few tins of Altoids gum in my stocking, and I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday. Not thinking about it, I popped a few in my mouth and munched for awhile. As is my usual with gum, tossed it out once the flavor was gone, and tossed in another.

Not long afterwards, I noticed I was ravenously hungry!

I had totally forgotten one reason I normally don't chew gum - it makes me hungry!

I did some Internet research on the issue of gum and hunger, but surprisingly, I didn't find anything definitive about it, at least not during my 5 minutes of lengthy research. But, I think it just comes down to the fact that when you chew like that, your saliva goes crazy, and you are telling your body that you're eating, when in fact, your not. You're just chewing. So, then your body says, "hey, where's the food? don't I get something in my stomach after all that nawing?"

So, the Altoid tin is now closed. I'm not sure if I'll ever chew gum again!

No comments: