Monday, May 14, 2007

Dear Diary, I Hate You

This has not been a good week. Things started to go downhill last Saturday when my DH had this brilliant idea of using large scallops he got at Sam's and dinner rolls to make little mini-scallop burgers. He marinated various scallops in various sauces, sauteed them, and then we garnished the rolls with a mixture of condiments.

I was being bad that day, so I didn't write down anything in my food journal. What's the point?

On and off throughout the week, I attempted to write things down again like I have been for the past few weeks, but for whatever reason, I just never managed to stick with it.

Knowing that weigh-in day is tomorrow, I called C. and explained my latest hurdle, and really, this has been one that I've had issues with forever. I really hate keeping a food journal.

"But," she protested, "You are a writer. This is what you do."

"Keeping a list of food and calories is not writing."

Then she put on her shrink hat and told me that I need to figure out a way to make it into something other than just writing a list of food. Make it a personal journal, a scrapbook, something that I would want to do.

"Yah, yah, yah," and I told her I'd think about it.

At first, I poo-pooed the idea because along with hating to write down my food, I am also not a big fan of writing long hand. I just don't do it very often, and since I write so much, I have trained myself to write on a keyboard. But, hardcopy journals are way more easier to drop into your purse, especially when you have a CLJ that doesn't allow you to use a computer for anything that could be considered "personal" use.

So, I thought about it today, and I think I have what I hope is a solution to my distain for the food diary. I dabble in paper arts, alterted books and such, so I have a small collection of paper-what-nots, stickers, decorations, etc. I went into my stash and pulled out some pretty stickers I've been hoarding for no real reason and decorated a few pages of my journal. Then I added a few thoughts like, "this sucks," and "I burnt my tongue on my lean cuisine pizza today." I will admit it was much better, but we'll see. Maybe I'm onto something here, a food dairy slash art project.

No comments: