Friday, March 02, 2007

Shangri-La Diet Verdict

After about a solid week of attempting the Shangri-La Diet, I have to give it a thumbs down, at least for me. However, I did learn something pretty eye-opening, so I think it was a worthy experiment.

As I already mentioned, I found it very difficult to get four tablespoons of sugar water/oil in every day. It was something I constantly had to think about, and I realized if I'm going to put so much thought into something it should be the food I eat versus when I suck down a tablespoon of oil.

Another problem with this diet (for me) was the fact that if I left the house for any length of time, I had to remember to bring the oil/sugar, which in itself is not an easy thing to do. Even with a small bottle of oil, you have to be really careful no to make a mess with it.

So, does the diet work? Yes, actually, it did supress my appetite, which brings up the dumb lesson I learned: too often I eat when I'm not really hungry. There, I said it. Now, it's not like I didn't know this, but until I tried this diet and was ultra aware of when I was hungry and when I was not, I never realized how much I ate for no other reason than I like to eat.

As I result, I'm putting extra effort into not eating when I'm not hungry, especially at night, which is when I really have problems. So far, I've had a small amount of success with this. At least I feel I got something out of the Shangri-La diet. As C said, it is a gimmicky diet, and while I hate to admit she's right, it is back to the tried and true - keep exercising and count the calories. Ugh.

No comments: