Monday, February 19, 2007

The Shangri-La Diet

My latest discovery is a book called The Shangri-La Dietby Dr. Seth Roberts. Basically, this book claims that you will be able to eat anything you want and lose weight. Of course, the reason for this is because you won't want to eat anything because your appetite will be diminished. How does he do this?

He suggests drinking small amounts of flavorless oil (such as extra light olive oil) and sugar water throughout the day. The result (he claims) will be that you will not get hungry. In fact, he goes so far as to say that you won't even be that interested in food at all.

Part of me thinks this is a great idea, and actually, I have often wanted to find something that would keep me from getting hungry, that magic pill if you will. One of the reasons I have trouble with a very low calorie diet is because I just don't feel like I get enough to eat. Therefore, Roberts' diet seems like a possible answer to this, and it's using regular things like oil and surgar, not some weird0 pill you get from the drug store.

On the flip side, I'm a foodie. I really like good food and good wine (as my spare tire can bare witness to). I'm not sure if I like the idea of not ever being interested in food again. I'm not even sure this could really be possible for me or if it a good thing. My tough-as-nails side says that I should be able to control my eating without the use of tricks like Roberts suggests.

But, I'm thinking about trying this. I asked a friend of mine who used to be a personal trainer (C.M. I'll refer to her from now on), and she confirmed that it will supress my appetite. So, I'm adding extra light olive oil to the grocery list.

No comments: