Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turkey Day Tricks

Normally, we have a few guests for Thanksgiving dinner and my DH cooks a fabulous and fattening meal with way too much food that we continue to gorge on for about a week afterwards. However, this year due to our guests having some health issues and me having some work issues (a book deadline that's coming up soon) , it will be just two of us for dinner, and we both want to avoid the Thanksgiving spare tire that normally shows up a few days later. I just spent months getting rid of 15 pounds and I have about 20 to go, so I don't want to undo all my hard work and start at square one just so I can OD-on chery pie.

Therefore, we decided to try to come up with a turkey dinner plan that we could both deal with, which resulted in some pretty tough negotiations around here lately. DH is low-carbing it, so he can eat a lot of foods that I can't and visa versa, but we managed to come up with a compromise that I hope will work for us. My main issue is the amount of food. With WW I can really eat anything, just not large quantities of anything. So, rather than DH make is wonderful cherry pie that I will then have after dinner as well as the next day for breakfast and lunch, I bought us two pieces of frozen chocolate pie pieces. Instead of a huge casserole of green beans (which is a favorite of mine), he's making a smaller version of it. He's opting for faux mashed potatoes for himself (mushed up cauliflower) and I have one small sweet potato for moi.

It will still be a lot more food than I'm used to, but hey, it is a holiday. A pound or so I can deal with. Five pounds, though, means I'm at least set back 5 weeks from where I am now, and that is a place I don't want to go!

May you also have a happy, healthy, and not-too-fattening Thanksgiving!

No comments: